Current Commitments summary
(See also work in progress
- President Emeritus of Cambridge Society for the Application of Research
- Life Member and former Member of Council, Friends of Cambridge University Library.
- Life Member and Fellow of the Philosophical Society, Cambridge University.
- Visiting member of the Combination Room, Regent House, Cambridge University.
- Life Member, Cambridge University Society for Cognitive Research.
- Honorary Director of the Eastrea Centre.
- Emeritus Member of the New York Academy of Sciences.
- 'Critical Focus' columnist for The Microscope journal.
- Host of the annual 'An Evening with Brian' at the Inter/Micro conference, Chicago.
- Member of the Advisory Board, National Science Foundation.
- Panel member of the Internet Science Fair, University of Central Florida.
- Dining Member of Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge University.
- President of the Association of Past Students, Cardiff University.
- Inaugural Royal Literary Fellow at the Open University.
- Visiting Professor at the Beyond Distance Alliance, Leicester University.
- Tutor at Institute of Further Education, Madingley Hall, Cambridge University.
- Member of the Court of Governors at Cardiff University
- Member, American History of Science Society.
- Member, Microscopical Society of America.
- Fellow and Council Member of the Institute of Biology and Chair of History Network.
- Editorial consultant to the Guinness World Records.
- Member of Council, and of Public relations Board and Fellow of the Institute of Biology, London.
- Member of Advisory Board, McCrone Research Instiutute, Chicago, Illinois.
- Columnist in Boz magazine and the Mensa Magazine.
- Member of Council and Zoological Secretary, Linnean Society, London.
- Director of Mensa, Member of the British Mensa Committee.
- International President, European Union of Science Journalists'
- Vice-Chairman of Food and Nutrition, and Fellow of the Royal
Society of Health.
- Vice-Chairman and Head of Entertainments, Savage Club, London.
- Chairman of Scientific and Technical Writers' Committee, Society
of Authors, London.
- Chairman and Trustee of the Old Petriburgians' Association.
- Member of the former University College, Cardiff, Court of
- Foreign Member of the European Academy, Paris.
- Member of Council, National Book League, London.
- Editor, Biology History, and of Science Diary
- Director of National Science Centre Ltd, London.