To access a book page or the TV site, click on one of these pictures
BJF, 1971, Microbiology and Food
with illustrations and cover design by the Author
[hardback edition] 212pp, ISBN 0 950 1665 020X ,
[paperback edition] 212pp, ISBN 0 950 1665 10,
1) Anon, 1970, Rule of Thumb approach to Nutrition, Catering Times: 8, 10 December;
2) 1971, Steps up the ladder of Hygiene, South Wales Echo, 19 February;
3) Lewin, Roger, 1971, New Scientist, 49 (741): 513, 4 March;
4) 1971, Catering Times: 384, 11 March;
5) Shill, P R., 1971, Cellular Approach to Food and Organisms, Catering Times: 14, 6;
6) 1971, Institutional Hotel and Catering Management, 1 November;
7) 1972, Food Science and Technology, 4 (2), January;
8) 1972, Nutritional Abstracts and Reviews, January;
9) 1972, Dairy Science Abstracts, 34 (2) January;
10) Berry, M., 1972, Education in Chemistry, January.
11) Trickett, Jill, 1978, Cites Microbiology and Food [in] Food Poisoning, London: Stanley Thomas Publishers.
12) Fox, Brian A., & Cameron, Allan G., 1982, cite Microbiology and Food [in] Food Science: 354, December.
13) Nester, E. W., Roberts, C. E., Lidstrom, M. E., Pearsall, N. N., & Nester, M. T., 1983, Microbiology, third edition: cite BJF Microbiology and Food: 776, Philadelphia & New York: Saunders College Publishing. File: MIC-FD.SAM
Billings, 1984, Food for Thought, with Brian J Ford and
published in Television Times and other national media. Programme titles:
Series first transmitted September/October/November 1984, Channel Four
[Repeat broadcasts in January/February/March 1986].
Series since published on video-cassette by Illustra Films and the Health Education Council
1984 Reviews include:
1) Food for Thought Brochure, Health Education Council & Channel Four, 23 August.
2) Brentwood Gazette and Mid Essex Recorder, 31 August.
3) Do you Know what youre Eating? Daily Express: 9, 13 August.
4) The Lancet: 534, 1 September.
5) Dunn, Peter, Television Column, Sunday Times, 2 September.
6) Preview [in] Pick of the Day, Daily Mail, 7 September.
7) Gooch, Rebecca, Evening Post, Bristol, 7 Sept.
8) Health Watch-dog, Home and Country, 7 September.
9) Photograph of BJF[in] Morning Telegraph, Sheffield, 7 September.
10) Preview [in] Morning News, Leamington, 7 September.
11) Preview in Newsletter, Belfast, 7 September.
12) Evening Telegraph, Coventry, 7 September.
13) Evening Press, Yorkshire, 7 September.
14) Television Times, [from] 7 September.
15) Longhurst, J, profile of Brian J Ford with photos, South Wales Echo, 8 September.
16) Naughton, John, The Listener: 35-36, 13 September.
17) You Are what you Eat, The Mail, Burton, 14 September.
18) Anon, See Four, 7: 5, 14 September.
19) Preview, Newsletter, Belfast, 21 September.
20) Preview, The Echo, Sunderland, 21 September.
21) Groom, Richard, 1984, My View, Evening Press, 22 September.
22) Television Page, South Wales Echo: 5, 28 September.
23) Cox, Jill, Television Times: 74, 28 September.
24) Evening Press and Star, Guernsey, 29 September.
25) Briefing, New Health Magazine, October.
26) Preview, Tonight Column, Somerset Guardian, 5 October.
27) Etherington, Jan, Television Times: 3, 5 October.
28) Kenny, Mary, Daily Mail, 6 October.
29) Anon, Post and Times, North Staffordshire, 11 October.
30) Anon, Evening Press and Star, Guernsey, 12 October.
31) David, Tony, Ipswich Evening Star,, 19 October.
32) Best View column, Herald Express, Torquay, 19 October.
33) Preview, Evening Echo, Bournemouth, 19 October.
34) Fridays Highlights, The Gazette, Eastbourne, 19 October.
35) Anon, Evening Telegraph, Coventry, 19 October.
36) Hodgson, Patricia, Daily Examiner, Hull, 22 October.
37) David, Tony, Evening Star, Ipswich, 26 October.
38) Briefing column, New Health, November.
39) Hayden, Brian, South Wales Evening Post, 27 October.
40) BJF, 1986, The Food Book, pp152, ISBN 0-241-11834-4, London: Hamish Hamilton.
Sykes, Peter, 1986, Oxford Times, 31 October.
Sowden, Stan, 1986, Evening Echo, Bournemouth, 29 November.
Ford, Brian J., 1986, Food Fads and Fashions, Biologist, 33 (5): 268-270, November.
Anon, 1986, Country Life: 1887, 4 December.
Anon, 1986, Sidcup Times, 4 December.
41) BJF, Is there Anything Safe to Eat? [leading feature] London Evening Standard: 27-28, 27 October.
Sams, G., [also] Taylor, W. E., 1986, letters re food article, Correspondence Column, London Evening Standard, 3 November.
42) BJF, 1989, Myths and Mysticisms about Food
[Lecture as Deputy Chairman of Food and Nutrition Committee], Royal Society of Health, British Association for the Advancement of Science Lecture Theatre, 8 November.
Fish and Chips are Good for Diets says Scientist, Express and Star, Wolverhampton, 9 November.
Wilkins, E., Forget the Salad - Wholemeal isnt the Upper Crust, Daily Mail, 9 November.
The Jimmy Young Show, BBC Radio 2, 9 November.
London Broadcasting Morning Show, 9 November.
Who Said What? [News quiz quotes BJF], Sunday Times: B20, 12 November.
A.M. Programme, BBC Radio Wales, 14 November.
Ashwell, M., Making a Meal, Daily Mail, 15 November.
43) BJF, 1989, Myths and Mysticisms about Food [Lecture as Deputy Chairman of Food and Nutrition Committee], Royal Society of Health. London: British Association for the Advancement of Science Lecture Theatre, 8 November.
44) BJF, 1989, [Contribution on food to] The Jimmy Young Show, BBC Radio 2, 9 November.
45) BJF, 1989, [Contribution on diet to] London Broadcasting Morning Show, 9 November.
46) Quote, 1989, Who Said What? [News quiz quotes BJF on food], Sunday Times: B20, 12 November.
47) BJF, 1989, [Contribution on food to] A.M. Programme, BBC Radio Wales, 14 November.
48) [Graaf, Vincent] 1990, Dont fret, just Eat your Chips (interview with Brian J Ford), Daily Mail: 14, 1 October.
49) BJF, 1991, Olives and Olive Oil, Notes and Queries, The Guardian, 15 July.
50) BJF, 1991, Report of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy meeting, Biology History, 4 (2): 3-9.
51) BJF 1992, Essays for British Nutrition Foundation Science
Education Information Pack:
3: The Environment
London: Beacon Press, September 1992.
52) BJF, 1992, Are Olives and Olive oil good for you? [reprint of BJF, 1991, Olives and Olive Oil, The Guardian, 15 July, in] Notes & Queries, 3: 19, ed. Brian Whitaker, London: Fourth Estate.
53) Graff, Vincent, 1994, How to Survive Christmas: The Hangover [quotes BJF on cures, etc] London Evening Standard: 13, 4 December.
54) BJF, 1996, Creative Mind Management in Catering[lecture], London: Mosimann Academy, 1530h, 30 August.
55) Burrell, Ian, 1996, Eating for Britain - risk in modern meals [quotes BJF on food poisoning]. Sunday Express: 16, 15 September.
56) BJF, 1996, Ethnic Foods [lecture], London: Mosimann Academy, 1500h, 25 September.
57) BJF, 1997, Interview on food dangers, Drive Time, Talk Radio, 1810-1815h, 11 March.
58) BJF, 1997, Interview by Laurie Meyer on hygiene report, Sky News 2230h, 12 March.
59) BJF, 1997, Interview on vegetarianism, Scott Chisholm Show, Talk Radio, 1050-1055h, 17 March.
60) BJF, 1997, Chairman of: Are Natural Therapies Safe and Effective? Pharmaceutical Sciences Group and Institute of Biology Conference, London: Royal Pharmaceutical Society, 1000h, 20 March.
61) BJF, 1997, Interview on Pennington report with Anne Diamond, LBC Breakfast Programme: 0920-0930h, 9 April.
62) Anon, 1997, Scientist hits out at report into E. coli (interview with BJF on Pennington report, with colour photograph), Peterborough Evening Telegraph: 7, 9 April.
63) BJF, 1997, Interview on cannibalism with Russell Davies, Afternoon Shift, BBC Radio Four: 1502-1520h, 16 June.
64) BJF, 1998, How can we ensure our food is safe? Lecture to Polynous, Trinity College Cambridge, 1100h, 19 February.
65) Herdson, D., 1998, Symposium report - Biological Issues in Agriculture (with group photograph), Biobits: 4, April.
66) BJF, 2000, Future of Food, London: Thames & Hudson, book in press.
67) Herdson, D., 1998, Symposium report - Biological Issues in Agriculture (with group photograph), Biobits: 4, April.
68) BJF, 1998, live interview on BSE enquiry and medical evidemce, BBC Good Morning Wales, 0725-0730h, 19 October.
69) BJF, 1998, live interview by John Waite on Kenneth Calman's statements at BSE enquiry, You and Yours, BBC Radio Four: 1215-1220h, 12 October
70) BJF, 1998, interviewed by Peter Deeley on lifting of the ban on beef exports, Drive Time, Talk Radio, 1610-1620h, 23 November.
71) BJF, 1999, Interview on finding CJD agent in tissues, BBC Good Evening Wales, 1705-1710h, 14 January.
72) BJF, 1999, Interviewed by Sophie Pearce on finding CJD agent in tissues, BBC Radio Cambridge Drive Time, 1710-1715h, 15 January.
73) BJF, 1999, Interviewed by Douglas Cameron on House or Lords endorsement of genetically modified crops, LBC Drive Time, 1725-1730h, 21 January.
74) BJF, 1999, Interviewed by Sally Davies on BSE and continued ban on beef on the bone, BBC Country Focus, 0905-0910h, 7 February.
75) BJF, 1999, Food standards? Whose standards? Boz magazine, 58: 11, March.
76) BJF, 1999, GMOs and crops, Boz magazine, 60, May.
77) BJF, 1999, interviewed on GMO controversy and Government report, BBC Good Morning Wales, 0810-0815h, 21 May.
78) BJF, 1999, interviewed by Peter Deally on GMO controversy and Government report, LBC, 1105-1125h, 23 May.
79) BJF, 1999, Ultimate answer to pests, Boz magazine, 61: 8, June.
80) BJF, 1999, interviewed on GMO's and Prince Charles, Clive Bull Show, LBC, recorded 2115-2130, LBC, London, 2 June. [Tape in archive].
81) BJF, 1999, Interviewed by Peter Deally on dioxin in Belgian food, LBC Drive Time, 1615-1630h, 4 June.
82) BJF, 1999, Interview on dioxin in Belgian food, BBC Good Evening Wales, 1705-1710h, 4 June.
83) BJF, 1999, Lecture at Inter Micro 99: GMO's and public perceptions, Chairman's address in General Microscopy section, 1145h, 30 June, Chicago: McCrone Research Institute.
84) BJF, 1999, English whine and hard cheese, Boz magazine, 62: 18, July.
85) BJF, 1999, interviewed on origins of BSE epidemic, LBC Good Morning with Anne Diamond, 5 August (tape in archive).
86) BJF, 1999, interviewed on benefits of chocolate, BBC Good Evening Wales, 1820-1830, 6 August (tape in archive).
87) BJF, 1999, Is folic acid a miracle cure? Boz magazine, 64: 6, September.
88) BJF, 1999, The past and the future of genetic modification, lecture to Mensa at Cambridge, Magdalene College, 1100-1230h, 3 September.
89) BJF, 1999, Interviewed by Roy Richards on use of sewage in French animal feed, BBC Good Morning Wales, 0730-0735h, 24 October.
90) BJF, 1999, Interviewed on French beef controversy, Sky News 0815-0820h, 28 October (video casette in archive).
91) BJF, 2000, interviewed by Simon Bates on costs of BSE, Breakfast programme, LBC, 0717-0722h, 14 April.
92) BJF, 2000, interviewed on first results of tissue screening for nvCJD, Steve Allen Show, LBC, 0905-0912h, 28 April.
93) Douglas, Orin, 2000, interviews BJF on food supplies and the future, BBC Overseas Service (rec 1445-1545) 14 May.
94) Ford, Brian J., 2000, The Future of Food, 120pp, ISBN 0-500-28075-4, London: Thames & Hudson.
95) Ford, Brian J., 2000, The Future of Food, 120pp, ISBN 0-500-28075-4, New York: Thames & Hudson.
96) Crumley, Andrew, 2000, review of Future of Food, Scotland on Sunday, 28 May.
97) Anon, 2000, review of Future of Food, Kirkus Reviews, 1 June.
98) Shepherd, Rose, 2000, What's cooking (feature on Future of Food), Mail on Sunday Night and Day magazine: 28-30, 18 June.
99) BJF, 2000, An evening with Brian: Has Food a Future? (lecture to) Inter Micro 2000, Chicago: McCrone Research Institute, 26 June 1900-2000h.
100) BJF, 2000, What Future for Food? lecture to Ways with Words, Dartington Conference, 1130-1230h, 13 July.
101) BJF, 2000, interviewed by Douglas Cameron on BSE and risks from school meals, whether nvCJD is a variant of kuru, and pressures to obtain grants, LBC, 1105-1110h, 17 July.
102) Anon, 2000, Sorry, not hungry (review of Future of Food), The Economist: 113, 22 July.
103) Anon, 2000, review of Future of Food (with colour picture), Healthy Eating: 49, August.
104) BJF, 2000, interviewed on Future of Food, etc, Livetime: Food and Wine, Granada Television, 1500-1600h, 1 August.
105) BJF, 2000, interviewed by Peter Deally on spread of pollen from GM crop experiments, LBC Newstime, 1605-1610h, 3 August.
106) BJF, 2000, interviewed by Simon Bates on rising incidence of CJD, LBC Breakfast Show, 0705-1710h, 4 August.
107) BJF, 2000, Studio interview on prospects for epidemic of CJD with Azra Ganri, BBC Good Morming Wales, 10 August, 074-0750h.
108) BJF, 2000, contributions on sub-clinical BSE report, Sarah Dickins programme, BBC Wales phone-in, 1100-1200h, 29 August.
109) BJF, 2000, interviewed by Peter Deally on sub-clinical BSE report, LBC Newstime, 1605-1610h, 29 August.
110) BJF, 2000, Science and the Future of Food, extemporised presentation to Sainsbury's, Stamford Street, London, 1100-1200h, 4 September
111) BJF, 2000, interviewed on future of food and society, Swedish television, Nomonkey Productions.
112) BJF, 2000, Science, Society and the Future of Food, Crosstalk Society, Corpus Christi College, University of Cambridge, 2000-2100h, 24 October.
113) BJF, 2000, interviewed on BSE enquiry report by Lord Justice Phillips, LBC Breakfast Programme, 0704-0712h, 24 October [tape in archive].
114) BJF, 2000, interviewed on BSE enquiry report by Lord Justice Phillips, BBC Wales News, 1305-1310h, 24 October.
115) BJF, 2000, interviewed on BSE enquiry report by Lord Justice Phillips, BBC Cambridge Breakfast Programme, 0725-0730h, 26 October [tape in archive].
116) BJF, 2000, interviewed by Amanda Kirby on BSE enquiry report by Lord Justice Phillips, BBC Wales Sarah Dickens Programme, 1105-1200h, 26 October.
117) BJF, 2000, Chairman for Prof Steven Beckett lecture on chocolate, food of the gods, Cambridge Society for the Application of Research, 2030-2200, 30 October.
118) BJF, 2000, interviewed on BSE enquiry report by Lord Justice Phillips, National Talk Radio, 1120-1130h, 2 November.
119) Prince, Rose, 2000, Tomorrow's world, Farm to Fork (feature and interviews on Future of Food, q.v.) Daily Express: 70-71, 11 November.
120) BJF, 2000, One man's waste is another man's breakfast, lecture to Waste Management Consultation, St George's House, Windsor Castle, 1130-1200h, 11 November
121) BJF, 2000, The taste of tomorrow: globalization is coming home to dinner (with illustrations) Futurist, 34 (6): 41-48, November/December.
122) BJF, 2001, interviewed on government response to Phillips report on BSE, Wales at One, BBC Wales, 1303-1310h, 9 February.
123) Burgess, Mark, 2001, Food, real and illusory dangers, (review of 'Future of Food', q.v.), Laboratory News: 18, February.
Move to the MICROBIOLOGY AND FOOD site or THE FOOD BOOK web page.