BJF, 2023, Think Tank: Spectroscopy, Colouring our View, Laboratory News: 32-33, January.
BJF, 2023, Been there, done that, bought the tee shirt; Chatbots in Prspective, Laboratory News online, 17 February.
Alejandro Martinez, 2023, El dueño del microscopio declarado BIC quiere llevarlo al Museo do Mar (reports Brian J Ford and Leeuwenhoek microscope) La Voz de Galicia, 25 February.
Attwood, Brian, 2023, Lab Diary: Aurora provides lecture time enlightenment, Laboratory News online. See also full article by Brian J Ford, 7 March.
BJF, 2022 (published 2023), Germ versus Germ, The Microscope 69 (4): 163–174. DOI: doi.org/10.59082/EXKW5818
BJF, 2023, Where there is darkness, let there be light..., Laboratory News online, 12 March.
John Richards, 2023, online poster announcing Freethought Hour with Brian J Ford, 23 April.
John Richards & Tersia Duplessis, 2023, interview Brian J Ford on Freethought Hour video blog, 20:30h, 27 April.
Jeremy Sallis, 2023, Interviews Brian J Ford on coronation day memories, BBC Cambridgeshire, 11:30-1135h, 4 May.
BJF, 2023, Culture guffaws: Latin liberties and trends in taxonomy, Laboratory News online, 8 May. See also screen grab.
BJF, 2023, Illustrated presentations aboard Regent Seven Seas Splendor "Royal Lands" cruise:
- How did we get here? (89/474), Constellation Theater, 14:00h, 26 May
- The Secret Life of Dinosaurs (89/475), Constellation Theater, 10:30h, 29 May
- You Choose the Subject (89/476):
- Commercialisation of fusion energy
- Tax the rich to create more money for the poor
- Settling the climate change debate
- Artificial intelligence
- Should we be going to Mars?
- Chinese expansionism
- Origin of the covid-19 pandemic
- Outcome of Russian invasion of Ukraine
- Age-limit to the human body, Constellation Theater, 10:30h, 1 June
- When will A.I. replace us all?, Constellation Theatre, 14:00h, 1 June
Sailing: Southampton, UK - St Malo, France - Brest, France - Lorient, France - Le Verdon, France - Bordeaux, France
St-Jean-de-Luz, France - Biarritz, France - Bilbao, Spain - Gijon, Spain - Southampton, UK. 23 May - 2 June.
BJF, 2023, Leeuwenhoek's Fourth Mystery - Revealing what the Pioneers could Truly Observe, online presentation to Inter/Micro 23, Chicago: McCrone Resedarch Institute, 13 June.
Narendra Kumar, 2023, The Ford Environmental Chart, New Delhi, Optometry Today: 6-7, June.
BJF, 2023, Hyper-space, Laboratory News 3: 32, June.
BJF, 2023, How Leeuwenhoek saw Life - Recreated for the First Time, Microscopy & Analysis: 14-17, July/August.
Smith, J. M., 2023, The silver Ernst Abbe medal of the New York Microscopical Society - Prof Brian J Ford award, Yearbook 2023, France: European Microscopy Society: 42, July.
BJF, 2023, Hyper-space, Laboratory News online, 16 July. See also PDF.
BJF, 2023, Look beyond the Horizon, Laboratory News online, 3 August.
BJF, 2023, Marking the 300th aniversary of the death of Dutch microscopist Antoni van Leeuwenhoek, Lab Bulletin online, 16 August 2023 (see also online PDF).
Edward Adoo, 2023, Live interview about Sir Michael Parkinson, BBC Radio Cambridge, 1130-1140h, 18 August.
BJF, 2023, Van Leeuwenhoek's rich legacy endures three centuries on, Laboratory News online, 24 August.
BJF, 2023, Illustrated presentations aboard Seabourn Sojourn, Spain to Italy voyage:
- Birth of the Mediterranean (90/477), Grand Salon, 18:15h, 27 August.
- You Call the Shots (90/478):
, Grand Salon, 10:30h, 28 August.
- The evolution of Homo sapiens
- Time-scale of human development
- Disturbing recent changes in social media
- What is the answer?
- Wikipedia is open to all, so can it ensure obectivity?
- The importance of Lucy
- Comment on ‘Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire’
- Why go to university?
- The future of the British monarchy
- Secret Life all around us, (90/479)(see introductory excerpt), (90/480) Grand Salon, 14:30h, 29 August.
- Come back Plastic, all is Forgiven, (90/480) Grand Salon, 15:15h, 30 August.
- Mystery of the Microscope in Mud, (90/481) Celebrating 300 Years since Antony van Leeuwenhoek, Grand Salon, 15:15h, 31 August.
- Also 'Liars Club', Grand Salon, 28 August.
Sailing: Barcelona, Spain - Mahon, Menorca - Bandol, France
St Tropez, France - Trapani, Sicily - Mgarr, Gozo - Valletta,
Malta - Giardini Naxos (for Taormina), Italy - Amalfi, Italy - Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy.
25 August - 4 September
BJF, 2023, Antony van Leeuwenhoek's specimens under the Microscope, Imaging and Microscopy online, 30 August.
Report, 2023, Can people really burst into flames? Find out here, Microsoft Start StarsInsider, 1 September.
Report, Spontaneous human combustion: Can people burst into flames on their own?, de.starsinsider site, 12 September.
Art Struss, 2023, announcement of Brian J Ford online presentation to State Microscopcal Society of Illinois, 13 September.
BJF, 2023, Geothermal, our Ultimate Energy Source, Process Engineering: 10-13, 15 September.
Narendra Kumar, 2023, OT Interaction (the Ford Eye Chart), Optometry Today, 49 (4): 6, September.
Arthur S. Reber, Frantisek Baluska and William Miller, The Sentient Cell: The Cellular Foundations of Consciousness (discusses Brian J Ford work on cell intelligence), Oxford University Press, October.
BJF, 2023, Publish or be damned, Critial Focus No 47, The Microscope 70 (2): 82-93.
BJF, 2023, The Cell as Secret Agent - Autonomy and Intelligence of the Living Cell, Driving Force of Development, Academia Biology /doi.org/10.20935/AcadBiol6132, 11 October. See also archive copy.
BJF, 2023, Aliens of the Botanical World, Critical Focus, The Microscope, 70 (3): in press.
BJF, 2023, Illustrated presentations aboard Seabourn Ovation, Mediterranean Medley:
- Informal Introduction, Pool Deck, 17:00h, 15 October.
- Birth of the Mediterranean (91/482), Grand Salon, 1815h, 16 October.
- Wising up to Dumbing Down (91/483), Grand Salon, 1030h, 17 October,.
- Rainforest is Nobody's Lung, (91/484) Grand Salon, 1815h, 19 October,.
- You Choose the Subject (91/485):
- Sentient artificial intelligence
- Controlling populartion growth
- Desalination for future water supplies
- Future of energy (geothermal power)
- Bringing peace to the Middle EastThe Club, 1700h, 21 October.
Sailing: Barcelona, Spain - Mahon, Menorca - Sete, France - Toulon, France
Ajaccio, Corsica - Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy - Portoferraio
Isle of Elba - Civitavecchia, Italy. 15-22 October.
BJF, 2023, Illustrated presentations aboard Seabourn Ovation, Mediterranean Mystique:
- Informal Introduction, Pool Deck, 17:00h, 22 October.
- Intelligent Plants and Clever Creatures (92/486), 1815h, 23 October.
- Magical Microbes (92/487), Grand Salon, 1815h, 26 October.
- You Choose the Subject (92/488):
The Club, 1700h, 28 October.
- Climate change
- The 'Just Stop Oil' campaign
- When will AI take over?
- Does God exist?
- The economy, and future of interest rates
- DNA testing
Cures that nobody speaks about
- Governments cannot run things
- Legalising marijuana
Sailing: Rome, Italy - Portovenere, Italy - Bastia, Corsica - Monte Carlo, Monaco
St Tropez, France - Marseille, France - Palamos
Costa Brava, Spain - Barcelona, Spain. 22-29 October.
Emily Brown, 2023, Chair challenge goes viral as it's 'impossible' for men to do (quotes Brian J Ford on chair challenge), Unilad news, 3 November 2023.
Bookworm 1983, 2023, Too Big to Walk (2018), online review, 6 November.
John A Reffner, Babrara W Kammrath, 2023, Brian J Ford opening chapter for Solving Problems with Microscopy: Real-life Examples in Forensic, Life and Chemical Sciences, New York: John Wiley & Sons, November.
BJF, 2023, Geothermal - our ultimate energy source, Laboratory News Newsletter, 16 November.
BJF, 2023, Doomsday alert - engineers are here to stay, Process Engineering 29 November. See also file PDF version.
BJF, 2023, Leeuwenhoek specimens under the microscope - revealing the secrets from the oldest microscope specimens, Imaging & Microscopy: 25: 17-20, 30 Novemeber.
Return to previous year 2022.